Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Observation at Pacific Whey

Once again I am at Pacific Whey, finding myself lacking the focus (or desire) to grade. As I am thinking about this, I cannot help but hear one end of a phone conversation, and I begin to jot down what is invading my ear canal:

“Go vote. You have to vote” This was overheard at Pacific Whey. Naturally I assumed this was in regards to the upcoming primaries – silly me. In fact, as the bleach blond, botoxed, UGG wearing, middle-aged woman continued, I was reminded what happens when one assumes. This plea had nothing to do with government politics; instead, it dealt with the politics of American Idol. Yep.
I next heard “Ho Ju or Hee Ju, it doesn’t matter, no one cares…Anyway, everyone is madly in love with him…if they kick him off, I’m banning that show…You have to vote…you have to vote for him.” All while carelessly flipping through a magazine, this very one sided plea to “rock the vote” played out through this grown-up Valley girl (I use this term so you can get a mental audio of her inflections. No really, I’m not trying to be a brat, she had those tones).

I am amused with the serious intensity in which she discusses American Idol voting as though it is, in fact, the Presidential race. Then I ask: am I any better? Sure, she’s engrossed in the importance of Idol, but I am the one writing her importance down…hrrm…I worry for a moment but then alleviate my ephemeral crisis by passing it off as a useful character study.

No comments:

Post a Comment