Thursday, June 20, 2013

Mirror, Mirror...

Like many women raised in the beauty-obsessed culture of California, I have spent much time criticizing my appearance from tip to toe, lamenting the dissimilarities of my reflection and those of magazines, friends, what- have-you.

Today, in the midst of what could only be described as a visual vivisection of my physique, I stopped. I stopped after I had slandered my voluminous legs and realized how incredibly pointless, harsh, and ungrateful my sentiments were. How speaking such ideas was a horrible waste of precious breath, and not just a waste of breath, but a bit blasphemous.

I have the gift of movement. My legs take me around my apartment, my city, my world. My legs work and work well. My legs are the foundation to a body that is, for the most part, healthy. How lucky am I? I also have arms that allow me to hug those I love; I have eyes that see the beauty in the world; I have ears that take in harmonies and all the sounds of life. I am blessed. My body is a blessing – imperfections and all.

I am not taking this as a simple resolution that will get me to the gym so that I can finally like my body. Nope. Instead, I am taking this moment to love my body as is and begin to take of it as much as I take care of anything I love: with kindness, patience, and perseverance.

Do I want to be healthier? Of course, but it begins with my attitude.  

No comments:

Post a Comment