Sunday, August 22, 2010

Musing #4

Staying in a hotel, EcoHotel, outside of the main center of Rome, in a typical neighborhood – busy, loud, a little dirty – in a typical city. I like the city center, but when relaxing, waiting to feel inspired, I find that I prefer (and am currently missing) being in the country. I am currently plugged into my ipod, listening to Ray LaMontagne tell me he could “hold me in his arms forever” – a loud motorbike momentarily drowning out his serenade. The busyness of the city, the rapid movement of business, cars, and life creates a busyness in my head. I am once again worrying about my responsibilities back home: financial shortcomings and what to do about my car…

Of course, as Damien Rice now takes over for Ray and begins his lament about "floating like a cannonball”, I am able to get lost in his melancholy and feel that I will also get lost in the history and surreal beauty that is Rome. I am sure an inspiration separate from Florence will by my muse for a season. Perhaps I’ll think back to Rome and feel the need to create or improve my mind- expand my philosophical and historical knowledge, as I currently fall short.

It may sound weird, but this is a shortcoming that I embrace. How awful it would be to find that I felt I had nothing left to learn or experience, no area in which I am challenged enough to grow. And right now, I need to learn to find inspiration in the middle of a typical neighborhood, in a typical city.

No comments:

Post a Comment