Sunday, August 22, 2010

Reflections outside of Florence



Anyone who sees this place would love our hotel – really it’s a small house – kitchenette and all. The grounds are stunning and so peaceful; I love the constant sounds of birds and insects going about their business – it’s given me a renewed sense of appreciation for the quiet, peaceful ease of the country: a breathing pastoral.

I think I am going to show my students pictures of the lake when we review Emerson and Thoreau. This must be the type of setting that encouraged these great thinkers’ attempts at putting the beauty of nature in verse. Their desire to step back from the bustling world and absorb all that God has created– truly, “transcendental” is an apt description. This place, this feeling, truly transcends anticipation, defies accurate explanation – I am encouraged not to try to explain or capture (though I obviously am), instead I feel encouraged to simply be.

I am enjoying letting my thoughts wonder, not over-analyzing anything, simply drifting from one idea to another, from appreciation of my surroundings to meditating on a few lines of poetry from “George Grey”: “Put meaning in one’s life and it may end in madness, but life without meaning is the torture of restlessness and vague desire.”



To think, I could have missed all this if I had let the idea of bills and financial responsibilities get in the way of this adventure: meaning is found in experience, not a savings account. To have bypassed this experience, this life adventure, would have been the truly regrettable, even irresponsible thing to do. How often the idea of checking off boxes on my “to do” lists outweigh the desire to sit, reflect, and enjoy the beauty that surrounds me, waiting to inspire those that will let it. How often I have blurred the distinction between productivity and true accomplishment.

1 comment:

  1. Wow, beautiful lake picture! Your last paragraph reminds me of how I feel when we go backpacking. Nothing can quite capture the feeling of getting up early when the air is still crisp and sitting out by a still, glassy lake, listening to the birds and seeing the occasional fish come up for a bite of breakfast.

    ReplyDelete