Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Cereal and Beer: A Philosophy

So, about a month ago now, a friend was staying with me, and during this time, said friend went “grocery shopping” (why the quotation marks, just wait) and brought back cereal and beer. That’s it. Granted, this was not a permanent residence, so I wasn’t expecting bags of produce and such, but it still struck me as funny that these two items were deemed essential. I even laughed a little. Now, upon reflection, I realize just how Zen this is. Not because I have an affinity for beer – anyone who knows me knows I detest the stuff (even if it does have a hint of blueberry) – but the philosophy behind it is quite brilliant. Stay with me on this…

I am a list-making, goal-oriented, gold-star kind of gal. The plus side of this is that I tend to get things accomplished. I mean, I wouldn’t have my awesome career or the ability to take care of myself without being this kind of person. Being left to my own devices as a kid (as long as I wasn’t burnin’ the house down anyway), I had the choice of either taking on the big picture or letting my life get away from me - even if the responsible decision felt overwhelming at times.

The downside is that I have lists, goals, and gold-stars dictating my idea of should. When I go to the grocery store, I should get list of fruits and veggies, water, meats, etc. I mentally plan meals or at least the basics to throw a meal together. This is not bad per say; it can even be argued that there’s purpose in it. The inherent problem, at least for me, is that I convince myself that I have a lot of “essentials” that are not, in fact, essential. I also get it into my head that I have to have the whole thing figured out ahead of time - the idea that if I don’t know where I’ll end up, my first step is futile at best, disastrous at worst. Admittedly, this is a little dramatic for groceries, but I do hope you’re following the metaphor.

So, how does the beautiful combination of cereal and beer come into play? One is a want, the other a need. Perfect balance. This does not negate my desire for purpose in life, but it does help with my ever continuing search for perspective and overall enjoyment in life. In actuality, it helps this quest for purpose by slowing things down and taking one task at a time. Perhaps the new question (or heck, even list) I pose will be this: what is one need I have and what is one want? Fulfill a need and a want then move on to the next thing. Keep the big picture somewhere in the background, but maintain a clear focus on the small steps that make up the journey. Who knew I’d ever get so much out of beer?

4 comments:

  1. Niiiice! I am SO with you in that second-to-last paragraph. In fact, I not only make a list, I make a menu. I plan what meals and which days for 2 weeks out (so I don't have to go shopping every week!). Then I make a Costco list and a Albertson's list, ordered, of course, according to the store's layout. I never really thought it was that strange until now :{

    Taking the metaphor and applying it, I don't know I could go grocery shopping without that plan. I don't think I could live life without some sort of plan. Fulfilling wants is rather foreign to me and often doesn't get done, or if it does, I feel way guilty that I'm not Accomplishing something -- yes, with a capital A. I'm thinking Sianna is going to teach me a thing or two about true needs and wants. Should be interesting! Lots of hard times, lots of frustrating, but lots of growth for all involved and -- I'm sure I don't have to say it -- that makes it worth it to me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wonder if it would change your perspective if you knew that the beer was the need and the cereal was the want ;). But I was happy to hear you learned something from my groceries, it was very encouraging.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's actually quite funny because I almost added a little note to tell the reader to decide which one was the need and which one was the want :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh friend. Groceries can never be too dramatic. Bring on the philosophical insights!

    ReplyDelete