Tuesday, February 1, 2011

It's not Gold, but it's a Post (aka Good Intentions)

Somewhere between the Sixth Street on-ramp to the 91 and the Harbor off-ramp exiting the 405, I have mentally prepared all the amazing, productive, awe-inspiring projects, grading, planning, cleaning, laundry – you name it- that will be accomplished. My intentions for any given night are good. I have been tempted to even label them as great. It may seem as though I’m over-esteeming them, but if only you could see the game plan to change the world, you would see it is a solid assessment.


Somewhere between my carport and my front door, however, the list is dwindled down to: get on couch, surf internet, waste life, sleep…What happened to those noble intentions? How does a walk up the stairs and the turn of a key suddenly drain any imagined energy I had? Energy to grade stays in my bag with the essays; writing and painting ideas seem to turn off with the ignition.

The last few days, okay weeks, my lack of follow through has been as grand as my intentions, and my frustration with my own lack of discipline/energy is not far behind. I give myself credit for a few very productive grading sessions, but really it was only a teeny fraction of what I had wanted to accomplish.

This isn’t a post seeking advice; I know what to do, theoretically at the very least, I am simply stagnating in the purgatory of knowing what to do and actually doing it. So, why the post? Because I needed to cross something off my to do list that was more than simply doing the dishes.

P.S. Don’t worry, the dishes, they are done.

2 comments:

  1. Aw, friend, I adore you. We manage to have epic hangouts every Friday...I count that as improving the world. Cross it off the list :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I routinely do dishes to make myself feel productive while putting off the other things I should be doing. Less routinely I comment on blog posts :). I guess I should start on some work...

    ReplyDelete