Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Today...

I am sitting alone in a Corner Bakery booth, ear buds firmly in place, Mason Jennings drowning out the many conversations taking place around me. In my hand, alternates a red pen and a fork, taking bites of pasta in between essay comments and grading.


I have a lovely seat by the window that frames the courtyard containing seasonally decorated trees. It’s quite picturesque really – there is just enough of a breeze that the rustling leaves create a subtle, almost star-like twinkling effect with the white lights.

In contrast to my rather gloomy Saturday, tonight I do not feel lonely or lacking. There is no melancholy, no invisible weight, no real longing aside from the wish that these essays will magically grade themselves. No, tonight, after a long day of kids, meetings, grades, lectures, and tests, I am at peace. Tonight, sitting here in my corner of the world, I am content.

2 comments:

  1. Dear friend, this entry and the last are so well written they take my breath away. Such poignant descriptions. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  2. If you get really bored you can always come over to my house and do the dishes :)

    ReplyDelete